Lights Out

A warm greetings to you all. It seems like most of my friends and family know how much I love the night time, and darkness. My mom i...


A warm greetings to you all. It seems like most of my friends and family know how much I love the night time, and darkness. My mom is worried of me that I might be enjoying the darkness too much, but I am fine with it. In fact, I totally love it. Night and dark are good for me. 

We have all experienced negative darkness, those long stretches of the night when we cannot sleep, and worry about everything, and so we know that "dark time" can seem interminably long, can be scary and terrifying compared with daytime. But as I slowly growing up, I have yet learn to accept and loving the beauty of the darkness, the night time. Yet this slowing of time can be the most relaxing and beautiful experience. Spending the evening in candlelight, and maybe by the fire with no TV talking, telling stories, letting the lit-up world, expands the hours, and alters the thoughts and conversations we have.

To sit alone without any electric light is curiously creative, I feel safe. I have my best ideas at dawn or at nightfall, but not if I switch on the lights, then I start thinking about anything that is possible not a background to thought. I like the slowness and serenity of the night. It puts me at ease.

Dreams, cold, sleep, love, slowness, time, quiet, books, seasons – all these things, which are not really things, but moments of life, take on a different quality at night-time, where the moon reflects the light of the sun, and we have time to reflect what life is to us, knowing that it passes, and that every bit of it, in its change and its difference, is the here and now of what we have.

Night is the time for personal experiences, quiet time, intimate time without interruptions from external forces. I have always like being out at night, it makes the city exciting - all the colorful lights, people, brightness and the wind breeze of the night. The beauty of the darkness. It all seems possible in the dark of night.

Somehow the darkness of light opens me to a more expressive self, less concerned about what people may think of me, more open to experiences. As someone who loves to be in the dark and enjoying the night time fulfilled with the city of the lights, I can express myself better than I should be.

Say, I wonder if you feel the same about enjoying the darkness.


With love, Syafika

4 Comments

  1. I also love to sit in the dark n let myself lose in thoughts 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, thank you for reading!

      Delete
  2. There are times I love to please myself in darkness back then when I was staying in an apartment but I could barely do it now since my surroundings is not a pleasant as before..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The surroundings is important too, that is true though, now that I am staying in the university hostel I cannot let myself enjoying the darkness as much as I can anyway thank you for reading!

      Delete